So here is a brief list of things that made me happy today!
- wearing my new hoody! (That I got on clearance at nike.com, was slimming, and super warm and comfy -- see below)
- saw a man walking a pug in a shearling jacket (the pug was wearing it, not the man)
- running errands while it flurries out
- running my 2 miles (and walking an additional 2) today to Christmas music!
- getting new running shoes!!! (more on that in a bit)
- getting a lot of things accomplished in one day! (paper handed in, class, drug monograph finished and submitted, workout, run, food shopping, new sneakers)
For today's strength workout I did a circuit made up of the following exercises. (note I'm just going to list them all, I didn't do every single one in the circuit. I did about 5 each round and substituted in new ones for some of the others the next time around). I did each exercise about 20 times each and repeated the circuit 4 times. After my strength workout I ran 2 miles in 21 minutes (pace 10:30). Then I walked for an additional 2 miles to burn off some of the fried food I ate at dinner last night. Felt great. Would have kept going if I didn't have stuff to do today...
 |
| Body pulls |
 |
| Kettle bell swings with a squat - (non squatting position here) |
 |
| toe taps |
 |
| squats on the half ball |
 |
| dips on the bench |
 |
| shoulder presses |
 |
| step up and overs |
 |
| push ups on the bar |
 |
| raise ball and squat so ball touches ground |
 |
| tricep extensions? (is that was this is even called) |
 |
| mountain climbers |
 |
| lunges down the hall and back pulsing 3x during each |
 |
| Abs! leg raises and toe touches with legs in air |
 |
| side to side with ball, feet in air |
Late lunch today! All my errands really slowed my down. I made a salad with mixed greens, garlic and herb feta cheese, tomatoes, onions, chicken, tortilla strips, and yogurt ranch dressing. It was especially good because I just went food shopping and all the ingredients were extra fresh!
Getting new shoes!
So I went to the Running Place in Newtown Square because I knew I was long overdue for some new running shoes. I probably got the ones I was wearing in the summer. I work with these and was working out in them before I really started running a few months ago. Well...let me just say this, once I tried on actual running shoes that were the right kind for my arch and walk/run, they felt sooo great! I basically have been running around in cardboard boxes compared to these babies.
The lovely sales lady showed me 2 pairs that she thought would be a good fit for me. The first was a little orthopedic looking, but I have to admit they felt great. I felt like I was walking on sunshine as I pranced around the store. The first pair was a bit big because I am in between sizes. She also thought that the first pairs wideness might be good for me (I think my feet were just insulted!), but I just didn't think they would fit right when I ran. The last thing I want is shoes that slip off all the time or cause blisters. I then tried on a pair of Asics 3020's. I knew right away these were the shoe for me. They were not my normal style of shoes per say, but I had to keep reminding myself that I didn't need stylish running shoes. I needed supporting, comfortable, and sturdy shoes. She told me I would get about 400 miles in them which didn't seem like a lot to me. These shoe people really get you with the buying new pairs every 6 months or 400 miles (does that sound like a car warranty to anyone else or just me?). I can't wait to try these bad boys out tomorrow!
 |
| so many to choose from! |
 |
| I have a normal to low arch. No dancer's feet here. |
 |
| my shoe store! |
 |
| my feet's new best friends for the next 400 miles (or 6 months whichever comes first) |
The woman was also asking if I ran with groups, and I told her I didn't really. I would eventually like to start running with others, but it puts a lot of pressure on me to keep up with their pace or go as far as they do. I guess I'm just working on my endurance myself, and I hope to start running with groups during the spring semester. I also have to start getting my swim on this spring semester to start training for the triathlon. Oy so much exercise to be done. haha.
So question of the day...Do you run with a group? Do you like it? What are the pros and cons of group running?
1. Jackets on dogs? Questionable...
ReplyDeleteThey are animals, they have fur for a reason right? haha
2. Sounds like the Asics were juuuust right...that story reminded me of the three bears - not too hot, not too cold.
Great post!
I mostly run by myself, but on occasion, I do run with a group. I found a group called 5K Begin-agains on Meetup.com and they are a great group of people and very flexible about pacing, too. I led one of their group runs recently and had a good time. I hope to lead more runs in the future, too.
ReplyDelete