Saturday, December 4, 2010

Running is hard. Cold weather sucks....

So this morning the plan was to bike down to Kelly Drive, meet up with Sarah, have an awesome run, and bike home.  My morning was not as effortless as that...

So I get on the bike.  Its freezing!!!!  I am bundled but wish I had a face masks that only show your eyes on.  I don't care at this point if I do look like a uni-bomber I just want to be warm!  

I wish I looked like this

Then I get to the Schuylkill River and carry my bike down the steps.  When I go to hop back on my chain popped off.  I stand there looking at the bike like it's a crying baby, and I have no diapers, no formula, and no toys.  I am helpless, and my frozen fingers (despite being in gloves) are not helping.  Finally a kind samaritan helps me pop the chain back on.  It takes him approximately 10 seconds. He's done a good deed and earned himself some good karma.

I rode the rest of the way as fast as can be to meet with Sarah.  I got there 5 minutes late.  I really wanted to be on time.  Damn chain.  I locked up my bike, and we walked a little before starting our run.

Ran .37 miles all of a sudden a GUSTT of wind off the river blows, and I think it originated in the arctic circle.  My face feels as if it's about to fall off.  I am running full speed, yet moving backwards. Um no thanks.  I tell Sarah I don't want to hold her back and that I'll catch up.  She runs ahead.  I go around the bend, things are a bit easier, but still freezing.  I start to get my jog on at least.  Jog a little walk a little jog a little.  I meet back up with Sarah and we walk back to the Waterworks together and chat.  That part wasn't bad, but I definitely didn't get a solid run in.  My legs were also super tight today which did not help.

Got back on the bike.  Is it me or did it get colder?  I'm planning on biking home as fast as I can to get into the warmth.  As I'm coming up on on 34th and Walnut I see Starbucks.  I think a nice treat might be a skinny vanilla latte.  I go inside, wait in the long line, and finally get my coffee.  As I am walking out I knocked some sort of a knick knack (spelling?) over.  Starbucks ornament perhaps?  It shatters.  I stand there in shock.  Then run out.  It was crazy crowded and I wasn't about to squat in the starbucks and scoop up glass with my frozen fingers while people trample me to death.  

As soon as I leave I feel horrible.  I am a horrible person.  I shouldn't have fled the scene like that.  I know Karma will get me back.  Karma showed up at 41st and Spruce.  So close to home.  So close.  I go over a bump.  My half finished coffee goes flying out of my hands and all over the road.  Great.  $2 worth of my overpriced $4 coffee is now all over Spruce Street.  Thanks karma.  At least I don't have to wait around for you to get me back.  I got it over with right away. 
No use crying over spilled Starbucks...
Now I am in the apartment.  As soon as I came in I ran to the bathroom to run my hands under warm water.  While doing so, I notice a big smear of latte on my cheek from my tragic incident at 41st and Spruce.  It felt like a smear of blood from a battle.  Now, I'm still freezing, and I feel like I didn't get a proper workout in.  Might have to do the elliptical just to warm myself up. 

Pathetic Stats for the morning:
Bike - 6 miles (didn't properly time myself)
Run/walk/jog - 3 miles - 47 minutes (pace 15:40) --terrible

At least I logged some miles in? 
I need to make myself some lunch to cheer up.  :-/

Running is hard.  Cold weather sucks....

1 comment:

  1. Gahh it was so cold! And that is hilarious about the ornament! Can't wait to do the bridge soon!

    ReplyDelete