Monday, November 1, 2010

Starting a blog...?

So...I am starting a blog.  I'm not sure why exactly.  I think the reason is because lately I have been enjoying reading some healthy lifestyle blogs and they really get me motivated to go out there and change what I don't like about myself.  So I'm dedicating this blog to them.  They have inspired me so much, and I can only hope that someday this blog will inspire others to be their best selves.

Not sure if I am sharing this blog right away.  I may just start blogging to myself, and when I am feeling more confident in my blogging abilities then I'll post the link on facebook or something.   I feel like a blog might also keep me accountable.  It's easy to blow off training when you don't feel like going.  It's like...who will know I didn't run that 5 miles today that I was supposed to.  But when other people are following your life and training, and they will all know that you were incredibly lazy and sabotaging yourself and your hard work.  I am definitely constantly sabotaging myself when it comes to many aspects of my life.  I know the right things to do, but enjoy the opposite more.  I know that pigging out on your favorite unhealthy foods is not good for you but everyone does it once in a while right?  I know that I should be studying harder for exams ahead of time, but I really wanted to watch the new episode of my favorite show.  

Taking a cue from Ben Davis of bendoeslife.com.  I am partaking in No-Excuses November. 

Goals for November:
- Eat out no more than 1 day a week (including take out)
- Stick to my training schedule and work out daily
- lose 5 pounds by December 1st.  

So today was a very productive day so far.  I woke up and signed up for the Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon that is taking place on June 25th!  I'm really excited and realllly nervous.  Mostly for the swim.  I haven't swam...like ever.  If any Philadelphia locals out there know how to swim and would like to hit the pool with me in the upcoming months to give me some pointers that would be very much appreciated!  

After signing up for the Tri, I made a nice healthy lunch!  A veggie Burger on an Arnold's flat bread roll with a slice of slender American cheese and an apple.  It was just the fuel I needed for my run today. 

After my yummy healthy lunch, I hit the pavement and ran from University City down to the Schuylkill River Trail and over to the art museum and back.  Its about 5 miles and it is a route I run fairly often.  My times for this particular route since starting running a few weeks ago are as follows:


10/9 - 1 hr 17 minutes (pace = 15:24)
10/11 - 1 hr 9 minutes (pace = 14:22)
10/23 - 1 hr 15 minutes (pace = 15:24)
11/1 - 1 hr 5 minutes (pace 13:20)

Obviously this "run" is intercepted with some intervals of walking...

Today felt great though.  I felt as if I was running most of the time, even up hill, and would have made it in under an hour if I wasn't so dehydrated by my 4th mile.  Next time's goal is to get my time to under an hour. 

Heading in the right direction right?  Gotta start somewhere.  

Wish I could keep blogging but I have a test tomorrow in Pharmaceutics which I really need to study for. 

1 comment:

  1. Would love to hit the pool with you, but I do all my swimming at 6 in the morning outside the city. I would recommend signing up for a couple weeks of adult lessons to get you started. West Philly Y has some - http://www.philaymca.org/branches/west-philadelphia/aquatics/teen-adult.

    I'm following this program right now - http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html and there is also a 0 - 700 for beginners.

    ReplyDelete