Saturday, March 26, 2011

Race for Humanity

Today I participated in the Race for Humanity that was actually being held at my school.  Since I'm trying to do as many races as I can and support my fellow student organizations, today was a win-win.  


Today was a cold day in Philadelphia, and I did NOT want to get out of my bed.  I let the fact that the race was just a few blocks away fooled me into not being there ridiculously early in case anything was to go wrong.  So I got there a little before the race was supposed to start, grabbed my bib and t-shirt, and then worked my way over to the start site of the race which was a few blocks away.  Lucky for me they started 5 minutes late and I got there just in time to snap one picture with some of my sorority sisters walking the race before they shouted GO.

We obviously weren't even all ready for it, but there was no time for a redo
I'm not going to lie this race was tough for me.  Since I got up so late, I didn't really drink water or eat anything beforehand.  I wasn't fueled properly.  I also hadn't run much this week, and it was bitter cold.  All these tied in together to make this race harder than it needed to be.  

The course was through a cemetery (weird huh?), and it was 3 larger loops, and the last loop had a bit of a short cut.  It was hilly, which I didn't like, and tough.  I don't really train on hills, and all of the race courses I've run so far have been flat.  

(Pro of the Loop Course...my number one fan had 5 chances to snap pictures of me..so enjoy me looking like I am about to keel over)








After I finished my chest wasn't feeling so great, and I was really ready to get out of there.  Unofficial time was 34:50.  Nothing to write home about, but I'm happy that I didn't quit.  Plus I got to sport my new Skinny Runner Fueled by Frosting Made by Miles tech tee so that was nice.  

Post race breakfast - Breakfast sammy on Thomas' everything bagel with egg whites, reduced fat Sargento shredded cheeses, and turkey sausage.  



After my post-race meal, I promptly passed out for a nice post-race nap.  I am about to head out and grab some lunch with my number one spectator at a place we've been craving lately.  :-)

All in all, I've never regretted a workout, and I'm glad I got it done with today.  I don't like being a quitter so I'm happy I didn't quit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment