Saturday, March 19, 2011

My first bad race.

I suppose everyone has a first, and today was mine.  It started off ok, and I got out the door around 7:45am for a 9:00am race.  Today I was running the Run for water 5K that supports getting clean water to African nations.  Definitely a great cause.  Arrived down by the Art Museum at a little after 8am, and there was not one car in the normal parking lot for races.  We circled around a bit, and saw some commotion going on down by the water works.  We eventually found the registration tables where I picked up my t-shirt and bib before sitting in the car until race time. 

Pre-race fuel

Only 2 pins for the bibs = hoopdie - Luckily I had pins left from last weeks race in the car

A ticket for free Chic-fil-A which I was pretty excited about

Then I had a pre-race photo shoot...




me and my number one fan!


Ok..so where did this race go bad is probably what you are wondering at this point, right?  Well, the registration tables and parking lot was at the Water Works near boat house row, and the race start was all the way back at Martin Luther King Drive.  In fact, at 8:15 when I got my bib, I asked where the race was going to start and the girls said that she wasn't sure yet.  Hmm, that is a little suspect.  So the runners, walkers, and spectators all had to walk on the Schuylkill pathway from Water Works over to Martin Luther King Drive.  Then, when we got there, they told us that the race wouldn't start till 9:15am.  20 minutes to stand around in the cold and wind.  I just wanted to get moving so I could warm up.  There was no organization at all, and the people running the race weren't race running people but people just trying to raise money for a good cause.  I can totally respect that, but it got a bit ridiculous.  There was no mega phone, only an air horn.  It got out attention, but then we couldn't hear these "important announcements."



And they're off!


I started out of the gate faster than usual, but I instantly knew that this race would be difficult.  The wind was whipping, and my calves were hurting so bad.  Then there was a slight irritation on my left heel which I didn't really think much of at the time.  I just wanted to run and get the race done.  I kept up a 10-11 minute pace.  This was an out and back course, and when I got to the half way turn around mark, my garmin only said 1.3 miles.  How does 1.3 + 1.3 = 3.1?  Well, it doesn't.  This "5K" was only 2.6 miles or so.  I think they seriously got in a car and drove until the dash said around 1.5 then stopped it for the turn around point.  I was mad it wasn't a full 5K.  I finished strong, but in pain from sore calves (I blame the miles I put in yesterday prehaps?). 





Notice how there is absolutely no one around me?  I seriously felt like the last person to finish, although I was definitely not because more than half of the people were just walking.  I love the feeling of racing alongside people to help push your pace.  I felt like I did this whole race alone.  I've found it best to pick someone who is a little faster than me and try to stick right behind them till the end, but at this race everyone was either way too fast or way too slow.  

Another grievance, they had coffee, oranges, and bananas after the race, but no water.  No water during the race either.  At 11:30 pm last night I got an email saying there would be no water.  I'm at the run for water, and there is no water?  I wasn't pleased.  Especially when after the run I had to walk all the way back to the car parked past the Water Works to get my bottle of self brought water.  

I didn't even stick around to get my free Chick-fil-A sandwich.  Joe and I just left and grabbed a bite at our favorite post race diner Little Pete's.  They got my omelette right today so that was a plus. 





Egg whites, spinach, feta, tomatoes, onions

Wheat toast

Then I found this little present in my shoe waiting for me when I got home...

It looks worse than it is...
So there you have it.  A bad race, and I'm now down a pair of nice asics socks.  Calves are still tight, but I have stuff to do today so I'm gonna push on.  I hope anyone else who is racing this weekend has a better experience than mine today. 

3 comments:

  1. i bloodied my sock 2 weeks back at a race and i know it sounds silly, but cold water got it all out! even if cold water alone doesnt work, if you have any of those stain sprays it should zap it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went running on the Schuylkill this morning too- saw some people milling around- must have been your race! The wind was BRUTAL, so I feel your pain. Hope your next race goes better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear your race did not go as planned! I give you major credit for participating in something new for a good cause, though. It's behind you now and all you can do is look forward!

    ReplyDelete