Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Billy Mock Foundation 5K

Today I had a mid-day 5K at Ridley Creek State Park in my hometown.  It was pretty nice having a 2pm start time because it allowed me to go out late last night and sleep in.  

Basically it allowed me to drink these puppies all night last night

Pre race brunch: Whole wheat wrap with goat cheese, reduced fat Buitoni pesto, grilled chicken, and spinach.  I also ate some un-pictured hash browns.
delicious


It was a surprisingly large race and a lot of people from the community were there.  I really enjoyed running in the park (it's a nice change from city running...sometimes you just need a little nature.)

Getting ready to race

And they're off!

Finish line...some youngsters putting me to shame.

There was a DJ, food, volleyball, and lots of fun family stuff to do before and after the race.  It was well organized and I really enjoyed it.  The first half was all downhill and I was making great time (9 minute miles).  I wasn't really sure if we were doing some sort of loop or if it was out and back until I started to see the speed demons coming back towards me.  I then was a little bit dreading the uphill second half, but it wasn't too terrible.  Unofficial time under 34 minutes...I forgot to stop the garmin so I don't know the exact time. 

Awesome giveaway bag at the race.  It included a long sleeve t-shit, Comcast Frisbee, Comcast tote bag, pop chips in sour cream and onion and BBQ, a coupon for a free hand-spun milkshake at Chick-fil-A, a coupon for laser tag (random?), an orthodontist pencil and sticker, a TD bank pen, a Colgate mini-tube of toothpaste, and a Nature's Code protein smoothie mix in berry.  I'll take it!



After the race, Joe and I had planned to walk the 5 mile loop in Ridley Creek Park, but we decided to save that for another day and head back to my parents house.  We had some time to kill before dinner so he studied, and I walked on the treadmill in our basement gym.  I did the 5 miles I was planning to complete on the loop so I was happy about that.  8 miles total for the day. 






Now I'm pooped and my legs are tired.  Time to shower up and get ready for my mom's big birthday dinner!  We are going to Season's 52 in King of Prussia and I'm really excited to try out their Spring Menu!

Did anyone else do any races this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for supporting this event. We are the Mock Family's next door neighbors here in Chadds Ford. I "ran" the 5K and won the 70+ age bracket in 40:20 which was 3:30 minutes better than last year. You probably waved to me on your way back.
    Hope that you will be back next year. Make the most of your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2
    John Rahner e-mail papabear725@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete