Well, in yesterday’s post I mentioned that I was missing my sorority’s annual Halloween party to watch the biggest loser and sleep (sounds like I’m the biggest loser right?) Every year on Halloween, it’s a tradition that the sorority and our brother fraternity award superlatives to the brothers and sisters. Some of my previous superlatives have been most likely to quote a movie, most intimidating, and biggest lush. This year I’m pretty happy with my crowning of the most sarcastic….unfortunately I wasn’t there to strut my stuff and wear my sash, but maybe I’ll wear it around campus tomorrow just for fun.
Here are some of my Halloween costumes through my college years…
In case you were wondering I ONLY wear those thigh high black leather boots on Halloween…oh and I apparently think it’s mandatory to curl my hair to get into every character…whether it be Robin Hood, a pirate, or little red riding hood…the curls make the boots a bit classier.
Instead this year, as I said before, I’m dressing up like a 5th year pharmacy student. Does my sash go with my yoga pants and race tee? I’m doing my best to look over-worked, under appreciated, and physically exhausted. How does it look?
America’s Next Top Model here I come.
Dinner – Stuffed peppers. Basically this same recipe but I substituted the Jeannie O ground turkey that I used last time with some 96/4 ground beef.
Deelish.
Speaking of delicious things, this time of year for almost all the years of my life, I would often get a big bag, or several, from my family of my favorite candy in the world….these guys…
Then there’s the ones shaped like pumpkins which just taste better…
In addition to the Reese mother-load from my loving parents, I also would get my trick or treat candy from my neighbors and go to town. I actually have memories of when I was younger eating a whole bag in one night. That’s a lot of Reeses…even for an expert eater like me. It definitely goes to show you how kids, or anyone really, may not realize how bad eating large portions of certain things are. I would NEVER do that now, but the overeating that I experienced as a kid isn’t that far from my mind. Halloween, like most other holidays, definitely encourages people (most specifically kids) to binge eat. So do some other favorite holidays….(Thanksgiving feasts, Christmas cookies, Valentine’s chocolates anyone?)
Funny memory – I remember going to a house in my neighborhood that gave away V8 juices. I took one to be nice, and it went in the trash when I got home. I wonder how many other kids did the exact same thing? I totally see what those parents were trying to achieve by giving away some healthier treats, but I think they could have met the kids a bit more in the middle. Come on! V8??? I had never even had tomato juice and kids need familiar treats that are on the healthier end! A for effort though neighbors…A for effort.
This year I don’t think I’m going to be partaking in candy treats. One year off won’t kill me, although just looking at those bags of peanut butter goodness is making me mucho hungry. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not giving up candy…but this year I think I’m going to keep sit out from playing in candy land.
About to go hit the elliptical while watching survivor and get some work done!
Do you guys remember any specific neighbors that gave away healthy treats. Do you give away treats? What is your choice for giving away candy?
OMG I could so go for some reese's right now! Love the Halloween costumes. And most sarcastic, that's awesome!! I don't remember neighbors giving away healthy treats but I always hated the house that gave out the popcorn balls that we immediately had to throw away because they were homemade. HELLO! Stupid people.
ReplyDeleteKnock on wood, but so far I have been ok with the candy I've hid away for the trick or treaters! Im working really hard to have a candy free halloween!
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog - love it! I'm not buying Halloween candy until the day of...otherwise there would be none left for the trick-or-treaters!
ReplyDeleteI used to HOARD my Halloween candy in my room and then binge on it when my mom wasn't around. So not good. I think it's a good thought when families give out healthier treats, but ultimately I feel like giving regular candy is better. It should be up to the parent of the child to help them watch the portion size and learn to eat junk food mindfully.
ReplyDelete