Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Flava-Flav

Phew.  I am glad that today has come to an end and I’m all snuggled in on my couch.  I had a quiz and presentation in the morning (100’s on both whoop whoop!) and then an exam in kinetics in the afternoon.  None of which were easy, but thankfully I was prepared for all of them and did well!

Today I want to talk about FLAVA FLAV….

….Well, not this Flava-Flav…

flavaflav

source

Although do you think he has flavored water in that pimp cup?

Lately I’ve been thinking about flavored water.  Just as a side note, the thought came to me because I am reading a book about a couple, and the husband started a company that sold flavored water before it was really popular (The book is called Skipping a Beat – it’s a good read, but I’m not finished yet).  Anyways, I am not a fan of lightly fruited flavored drinks. 

Since I stopped drinking soda as part of a little challenge that I’ve been doing for the past 6 weeks, I’ve been living off seltzer with fresh squeezed lemons, courtesy of my soda stream or just plain old ice water, courtesy of my Brita.  Other than that, I really do not care whatsoever for flavored water drinks.  I’ve tried a bunch of them, and they’re just not for me.  Give me a Diet Dr. Pepper and I’ll drink it till the cow’s come home, which may be awhile since I live in a second story apartment in West Philly, but I definitely pass of flavored water every time. 

skinny water

source

vitamin water

source

water

source

Recently I even tried out Mio water flavorings to mix things up.  They basically look like food coloring and if you add just a few drops to your glass your whole drink gets flavored. 

mio

It was fair.  The fruit punch wasn’t bad, but I’m really just not a huge fan of fruit punch.  I’m not really a sweet tea kind of girl and the other ones weren’t really for me.  I think it’s funny because I do love diet soda, even though it’s filled with chemicals and artificial sweeteners, but I can’t seem to warm up whatsoever to the fact that this “water”  is “enhanced with vitamins” and “natural sweeteners" some of which are not so natural at all.  I’m definitely not saying all flavored water is bad, but there are some out there that have more sugar that a piece of cake.  I don’t have a problem with that, per say, but I do have problems with brands that try and sell themselves as “healthy” when they are anything but.

Anyone remember this little doodad that used to be in the refrigerator of every convenience store?  It basically was a perfect substitute for all fruits and veggies, right?

diet coke plus

So I wanted to get some of your thoughts on flavored waters?  Do you partake in vitamin water, skinny water, Aquafina Flavor Spash, etc.?  Do you do it for taste or do you think there’s some healthy living benefits?

 

Biggest Loser time!  I love Tuesday nights!

 

hannah and olivia

1 comment:

  1. I could literally write several posts about this topic. a lot of the 'hype' on health benefits of flavored water is false advertisements. Antioxidants are destroyed by OXYGEN, HEAT, and LIGHT (think of when you bite into an apple and it starts turning brown, that is antioxidants being destroyed) With that being said, when something is in a clear container, pretty much all antioxidants are destroyed. This goes into why fruit juice is a waste of calories bc a lot of the good stuff you're no longer getting.
    another reason why flavored waters aren't all that they are cracked up to be is once you add something to them (artificial sweetners) your body still has to break it down- therefore it no longer goes into keeping you hydrated like actual water does. The general recommendation is to drink you body weight in kilograms (lbs / 2.2) in ounces- the only thing that counts though is clean water.
    If someone wants to drink flavored water bc its a healthier alternative to soda, GREAT. If they're doing it though because they think its just like water, think again

    ReplyDelete