Monday, October 31, 2011

Crust-less Cupcake Quiches

Well today and yesterday were long but productive days.  After work yesterday, Joe made an amazing dinner!  Steak stir fry lettuce wraps!

002

Seriously…how good do those look…because they were amazing and definitely hit the spot after a hectic day at work where I honestly didn’t even have time to eat!  

Fueled with steak, onions, mushrooms, and lettuce, I got my post-work second wind and did the elliptical for 30 minutes while watching my guilty pleasure show, Sister Wives.  Don’t hate..then I turned off the TV and got to business getting things checked off my list for school.  Next week is REALLY hectic and with the Foodbuzz Festival being this weekend, I’m trying to get EVERYTHING done as far ahead of time as possible so I’m not more stressed than I need to be next week.

This morning was a good one!  I went to a great spinning class at Body Cycle Studio.  I really was into the class and thought that I performed better than my recent spinning classes.  I definitely burned more calories and had a great sweat!

Side note…isn’t it the best getting your workout done first thing in the morning.  I do find it hard to wake up, but just by spinning early once or twice a week it allows me to:

1. Get my workout totally out of the way – workouts that hang over your head all day are the worst!

2. Be up earlier than normal so I can get a few things done for school before my first class.

3.  Also allow time to eat BEFORE class…this way during my hour break instead of coming home to eat I can stay on campus and get stuff done in the library.

3. Just allow me to have some extra energy throughout the day and an extra pep in my step!

I wish I could work out first thing in the morning every single day (I actually just read an article that said studies have shown it’s the best time of day to workout for weight loss and overall fat burning), but it just isn’t realistic.  On days I have lab at 10 am or a presentation at 9 (aka have to dress up and be there EXACTLY on time) then it just isn’t possible for me to get up, workout, come home and shower, look nice, and get changed, then get where I need to be without rushing like a maniac.  I know that many people this before work everyday, but sadly right now I’m not one of them.  I also really enjoy those extra hours of sleep and if I did it every day, I know I would burn out easily.  You got to do what you can right???  At least by just committing myself to doing it once or twice a week I’m allowing for some extra productivity and ensuring those workouts get done!  I also get motivated to commit to those workouts because my favorite spinning instructor teaches the first class of the day AND I sign up for the classes online ahead of time.  If I don’t show…I still “spend” my class.  So I might as well go and get my money’s worth!

After spinning my heart out today, I came home and tried a new breakfast creation…crust-less quiche cupcakes.  They’re basically mini frittatas.  Very easy to make.  All you need are eggs, leftover veggies you have lying around, and a cupcake tray.

First I added some chopped up tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions to cupcake tins with papers.

004

Then I wisked one whole egg and about 3 or so egg whites in a bowl.  I also added a touch of skim milk for fluffiness (that and I have a ton of skim milk that is going bad…fast..)  I poured it over the veggies and baked it in the oven at 400.

006

Once they looked almost all the way cooked (it actually took longer than expected maybe 20-30 minutes) then I topped them with some reduced fat shredded cheese and let them finish cooking for 5 minutes or so.

008

They were good.  I didn’t really salt them or anything so were a little bland, but not bad at all.  Next time I would pick cupcake tins instead of paper since the paper was a little tricky to get off.  Once they cooled a bit the paper came off much easier. 

I paired it with a side of jimmy dean turkey sausage and half of a grape fruit.

007009

It looks like a lot of eggs, but the cupcakes were small…it’s actually about the same amount of eggs as I usually use when normally making scrambled eggs.  They did take longer to eat though, so it helps you with slowing down and getting full faster…so that’s a plus!  I’m a pretty quick eater, especially post workout so anything that can stall me a little is a good thing. 

I have a pretty ambitious to do list for this evening and basically the rest of the week.  Not sure if I can get it all done, but I am definitely going to try!  Off to create some delicious dinner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment