Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Excursions!

It's hard to see beyond finals right now, but tonight I took a study break to do something I had been wanting to do for a long time.  I booked the excursions that Joe and I will be doing on our upcoming cruise.  



In May, we are taking an 8 day cruise to the Caribbean with stops at 3 ports, St. Thomas, Turks and Caicos, and Puerto Rico.  I have been on cruises before, but I have never been to any of those ports or on this cruise line so I am super excited!!!

32 Days!!!


I have been on cruises with my family, and in recent years we have discovered that the excursions really make the vacation.  There are some awesome options out there, but I've known which ones I've had my eye on for a while now.  

Excursion 1: Discovering Scuba in Grand Turk!

 
  • Experience first-hand why divers voted Grand Turk one of the top-five best diving destinations in the Caribbean-Atlantic.
  • Begin with a short drive to the dive shop for outfitting and a safety briefing.
  • Cruise to a pristine coral reef for basic Scuba instruction.
  • Dive in and enjoy the incredible marine life up close.
  • Explore the underwater world with expert assistance.
  • Reboard your boat for the relaxing trip back to the dive shop and your ship.
I have always wanted to Scuba dive, but it's tricky to do when you aren't certified.  This allows your to actually scuba dive under supervision without being certified which is awesome!   Who has recommendations for underwater cameras so I can capture all the moments?

Excursion 2: Canopy Tour!


  • After a safety briefing, you’ll enjoy approximately 1½ hours soaring from tree to tree and platform to platform on a network of pulleys and double horizontal cables, 10 to 70 feet above the forest floor. 
  • The course consists of 8 traverses, 14 observation platforms, an assisted rappel and a series of suspended walkways. 
  • From your bird’s eye view, you can observe the flora and fauna of this magnificent landscape.
I have always wanted to zip line, and where could be a better place the Puerto Rico?  I had a hard time decided between the daytime and the nighttime canopy tours.  I decided on a daytime one because I really wanted to be able to see all the landscape.  The nighttime tour sounded pretty sweet too though.  It was described as being lit up by the bugs as you zip through the tree tops. 

Has anyone done either of these kinds of excursions before???  Any tips on underwater picture taking?

6 comments:

  1. SO much fun!!! I can't wait to read all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just stumbled upon your blog and I'm a pharmacy student as well so I thought I'd say hi! Looking forward to having a look around :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous!!

    My man bought an underwater camera case for his camera on ebay and it works awesome. We tested it in the sink before we left for our cruise 2 years agos.

    We went on an excursion in Mexico that included some ziplining. It was fun, but I was petrified. I screamed the entire time and had tears in my eyes (although I didn't cry as bad as when we went repelling)

    Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Canon SD1000 and an underwater case built just for that camera. It works great and has never leaked on me. It was not all that expensive either (Check Amazon.com!)

    ReplyDelete