In New York and happy to be here!!! Joe and I don't really have any set itinerary while were here which is nice. Sometimes you over schedule trips, and they end up being more work than fun.
After arriving at Penn Station via the Bolt bus, we walked about a mile to where we were staying. It was a very snowy walk and really coming down which was a tad difficult with our bags. We stopped half way through to break up the walk and grab lunch at Austin's Cafe. I had a salad with diced tomatoes, red onions, feta, and balsalmic chicken with balsamic vinegarette dressing and a breakfast wrap with spinich, tomatoes, egg, and feta (my dream from this morning came true!).
| blurry picture, sorry guys, but you get the idea.. |
After we made it to our New York abode, we took in the sites from the skies above. Check out these super snowy and beautiful shots of New York City!
I didn't want to waste any time, so I got changed and headed to the New York Sports Club that was close by. I planned on running anyways, but since it was blizzarding, I decided I'd rather hit up the gym.
(You may be wondering why I'm working out on a weekend trip and not enjoying all this wonderful city has to offer. Well, here is my new philosophy. I used to have the mind set of, well I'm on vacation. Of course I'm going to eat out and lay around, etc. I'll get back to the grind after vacation. Fortunately for me, I take a lot of vacations with the family and the boyfriend (which is not something to complain about at all). Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons I have a problem with constantly gaining and losing weight. A week away of fatty meals out everyday and minimal exercise (cruises especially are the worst) cause an influx of weight, and then I never really get it off properly. I finally am starting to figure out that there are no days off to a healthy lifestyle. I need to try and do my best daily to get regular exercise and eat healthy. Does this mean no going out to dinner? No, I can go, but I can choose wisely. I can get dessert, but it's an indulgence, and it's important not to OVER indulge. If I know I am having a big dinner out, I eat a smaller and healthier lunch. I don't have to go to the gym everyday, but maybe I'll walk from location to location instead of taking a cab or subway. Simple decisions and substitutions like this can greatly influence your health and that whole concept is starting to click for me. Plus the gym is an hour of my day, and I probably would have spent the hour sitting in the apartment anyways decompressing from the bus ride and walk here. I just used my hour to decompress in a different way.)
Anyways, I called NYSC before heading over, and they guy at the from desk told me he would give me a good rate of $15 day pass. When I got there the credit card machines were down, and since I didn't bring my whole purse to the gym to workout, he let me in fo' free! LOVE free stuff! Thanks desk guy!
(You may be wondering why I'm working out on a weekend trip and not enjoying all this wonderful city has to offer. Well, here is my new philosophy. I used to have the mind set of, well I'm on vacation. Of course I'm going to eat out and lay around, etc. I'll get back to the grind after vacation. Fortunately for me, I take a lot of vacations with the family and the boyfriend (which is not something to complain about at all). Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons I have a problem with constantly gaining and losing weight. A week away of fatty meals out everyday and minimal exercise (cruises especially are the worst) cause an influx of weight, and then I never really get it off properly. I finally am starting to figure out that there are no days off to a healthy lifestyle. I need to try and do my best daily to get regular exercise and eat healthy. Does this mean no going out to dinner? No, I can go, but I can choose wisely. I can get dessert, but it's an indulgence, and it's important not to OVER indulge. If I know I am having a big dinner out, I eat a smaller and healthier lunch. I don't have to go to the gym everyday, but maybe I'll walk from location to location instead of taking a cab or subway. Simple decisions and substitutions like this can greatly influence your health and that whole concept is starting to click for me. Plus the gym is an hour of my day, and I probably would have spent the hour sitting in the apartment anyways decompressing from the bus ride and walk here. I just used my hour to decompress in a different way.)
Anyways, I called NYSC before heading over, and they guy at the from desk told me he would give me a good rate of $15 day pass. When I got there the credit card machines were down, and since I didn't bring my whole purse to the gym to workout, he let me in fo' free! LOVE free stuff! Thanks desk guy!
| Empty gym |
| Got the place to myself |
I first did the treadmill, 3 miles in just under 33 minutes. 6.0 miles per hour for the first mile, then 5.5 miles per hour for the second 2 miles. 6.0 is a fast, but managable pace for me. 5.5 is more of a comfortable pace. The good part about treadmills is that it keeps me pacing myself however fast I choose to go. The bad part is that I get bored and keep wanting to push that big red "abort mission" aka "stop" button. The last half mile as it kept counting 2.50, 2.51, 2.52 etc., I kept counting down from 50. It made the time go by faster by saying 49, 48, 47 in my head. I guess whatever gets the job done right?
After the dreadmill, I did this fancy stair master. I hate stair masters that are with the 2 hydraulic foot pedals that go up and down (know the ones I'm talking about?) I can't master those at all. But this one was just like walking up an escalator. I did 10 minutes, .75 miles, 34 floors, 83 calories. Not too shabby for a stair master newbie.
Then I stretched very well (tight calves all the time!) and even found a foam roller and tried out my first foam roll. Just did a little, but it hurt on my calves. Hurt in a good way.
Finished the workout up with some abs!
- 50 side to sides with the 3 kg medicine ball
- 50 leg raises
- 25 sit ups with the medicine ball
- 90 seconds bicycle (30 seconds fast, then 30 seconds slow, then 30 seconds fast)
- 1 minute plank
| Don't mind my haggard appearance, please. |
Overall, a great workout. I'm so happy I went, and now I'm in a fantastic mood. Those experts are not lying about endorphins; they really do make you happy! I even listened to a few show tunes since I'm so close to Broadway and all (nerd alert, I know). Defying Gravity from Wicked is a personal favorite. It might be corny, but my favorite line is:
"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change, but till I try, I'll never know."
That's my theme lyric of 2011. I'll never know what I can accomplish unless I try right? Maybe this exact weekend next year I will be running the Disney World Marathon if I put my mind to it. It's definitely a goal of mine. Now I'm off to shower up and take on this city!
For your listening pleasure....
Mmm Feta!!
ReplyDeleteGreat workout + Great music = Bliss :D Good job getting your workout in on Vacay!
I love the Glee version of "Defying Gravity" :)
Hi, new reader here :) I just told someone You never know until you try! Ha...i thought that was neat that you named your post similar to that.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on working out on vacation :)
I love your new philosophy...I totally agree and I always workout on vacation because it makes me happy too!!! That salad looks amazing and you are way too cute in your pics. Great workout and I agree it would be amazing to have a gym in your apartment building!
ReplyDeleteGreat job on working out while on vacation! Have a great time in New York.
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I think working out on vacation is great, especially if you enjoy it! You're suppose to enjoy vacation! Plus vacations can get stressful, so it's nice to have some unwind time.
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh, I love love wicked and defying gravity. I always mean to put it on my ipod, but I forget. It's such a powerful, motivating song! Like you can do anything :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Wicked!! And it's funny to see the pics of the gym- I go to an NYSC and they all look exactly the same on the inside! Enjoy the city!
ReplyDeletelucky you getting a free workout at a nice gym! love your vacation/healthy living attitude too, its right on.
ReplyDelete