Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Resolutions 2012

Well, it’s that time of the year again. 

20112012

I’ve read posts from a lot of my favorite bloggers today, and found that new years resolutions can be a somewhat controversial topic.  Some of you believe that if you want to change a certain habit or do something big like lose weight or train for a big race than you have every day to make that change, so why wait for the new year.  I do agree to that to some extent, because “today is the first day of the rest of your life.”

Nevertheless, I made resolutions for myself last year and kicked butt making most of them come true.  When I first started this blog over a year ago, I used to set some monthly goals or challenges for myself.  Lose this many pounds, read this many books, learn to do this….yada, yada, yada.  Sometimes I reached my goals and sometimes I never reached those goals, but I did learn a bit about goal-making in the progress.

  • Made goals specific!  “Lose Weight” is not a specific goal.  “Get into a healthy BMI range by joining weight watchers to lose weight”…much more specific.
  • Be realistic.  There is no way I could train for a full marathon that is taking place in a month.  It would be unsafe and unrealistic and making goals like this just sets you up for failure.
  • Make milestones along the way.  One of my goals last year was to run a half marathon, but along the way I did my first 5K, 5 milers, 10 miler, and triathlons.  These were milestones along the way that enabled me to train for a larger goal.
  • Go in with a plan.  If you want to learn piano, then know how you are going to do it.  Do you have one to practice on?  How much will lessons be?  Is it realistic with your work schedule?

Here are some of my goals and resolutions for 2012:

Fitness Goals:

  • Incorporate more strength training into my workouts.

030

I tried to get a jump on this resolution a little early.  I love strength training, but it had fallen by the way side during the year.  I’m going to target at least two strength workouts per week in 2012. 

  • Complete at least 6 races that are 10 miles or longer.

So basically 10 milers and half marathons.  I’m going to target racing about every 6-8 weeks, give or take, because I have found that it is easier to stay in shape, than to get back in shape….learned that one from Skinny Runner.

  • Compete in a bike race.

 

  • Complete at least 2 triathlons. 

 

  • Do more yoga! (vague)

017

So more specifically, try to attend at least 2 yoga classes a month.  Once a week is ideal, but certainly not realistic for me.

Personal Goals:

  • Keep in better touch with old friends

 

  • Make more time in my schedule to spend time quality with friends

 

  • Fundraise for one of my races this year and try to raise money for a good cause.

 

  • Do less…so I can do more.

This is vague, but just in general, I hope to not “over schedule” myself so much that I end up not being able to do as many things as I’d like to do.  Sometimes you need to do less to do more.

  • Minimize

I have…so. much. “stuff.”  I am moving in May to a new apartment, and one of my goals is go really go through everything I have.  If I haven’t used it in a year, if I don’t have a need for it, if it’s taking up valuable space, it goes….give it away, donate it, purge it, etc.  I really want to have a clutter free space when I move with ample storage for put things away, so I am going to try to minimize and organize my “stuff.”

Professional Goals:

  • Finish the “school” portion of pharmacy school and start my year of rotations successfully

7834_1182739616865_1479450016_30627223_7309936_n

  • Start to contemplate my career tract as a pharmacist and make strides to get the job I want

 

  • Make-over the blog (in progress already)

 

  • Learn to use Adobe Light Room

 

Kind of a lot, but I think they are all very doable.  I really want to get into even better shape, and continue to reach my goals by racing.  I will set mini-goals along the way, but if I am able to successfully complete these resolutions by the end of 2012, then I will be a very happy girl. 

If you are thinking about making a “crazy” resolution…DO IT!  Never underestimate the ability you have to surprise yourself.

Any big (or little) resolutions that you guys are setting this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment