Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mission Accomplished

I did it!  I completed this week’s challenge of doing each planned workout on it’s assigned day without modifications.  Let me tell you this, it was really hard.  I OFTEN modify my training schedule, but literally with one week of sticking to the plan, I already feel much stronger. 

This challenge was great for me because it really taught me that I can accomplish what I put my mind to it.  The hardest part is just making time for the planned workouts even when I’m sore from lifting or tired from studying.  Moving forward, I am definitely going to try and have more self discipline because I think that I could improve with strength, endurance, and speed by sticking to the training plan.

I also chose to start incorporating strength training back into my workouts this week.  One of my New Years resolutions is to strength train twice a week, and I decided to start working towards my goal a bit early.  Why not, right?

This weeks workouts in review:

Monday – Spinning

Tuesday – 3 mile run and weight training

Wednesday – 30 minutes elliptical

Thursday – 5 mile run

Friday – 3 mile run and weight training

Saturday – Spinning

Sunday  - OFF

Doesn’t it feel amazing to cross things off a list.  CHECK!  ACCOMPLISHED!  See ya later tasks!  I don’t think I’m going to have a hard time fitting in tomorrow’s rest day.  I have a long day of work then an even longer night of studying for my first final which is also my most “important” class.  Plus my body will definitely be glad to get some rest after this week’s workouts.

Today was a planned spin day, and I was pretty exhausted when I woke up to head to class.  The class was jam packed and I was happy that I signed up early enough to actually get a bike.  I may have been tired walking into spinning, but I was certainly awake after I left.  I just had to get my blood flowing a little to wake up and start my day off right.  FYI, there’s a RueLaLa deal for Body Cycle Studio going on right now.  If you are looking to try a good spinning studio I highly recommend it.

Joe and I were thinking of going out for brunch today, but I was worried it would take up too much time.  Instead, we made our own brunch at home with all the goodies I had in the kitchen.  It was delicious, quick, and easy.  On the menu was an open faced egg sandwich with some part skim mozzarella, ham, a fried egg, and whole wheat toast.  Turkey bacon, banana, and potato pancakes on the side.  Joe whipped up some fat free sour cream mixed with chives as a dipper for the potato pancakes which was perfect.  It was a great re-fueling post-spin breakfast.

007

011

Sadly after brunch it was time to hit up the library.  I was able to tackle quite a bit of studying in the 5 hours I was there which was great.  I knew the creepy quiet floor of the library was good for something!  I’m actually not as concerned about finals this year as I usually am.  Normally I’m a basket case that is eating take out at every meal, not getting any sleep, and panicking daily.  I don’t think I’ve ever worked out the week before finals week before…ever.  The workouts have actually been a great source of stress relief during this hectic time of the year.  Nothing better than getting your frustrations out with an amazing gym session. 

Personally, I think I was more concerned for the Philly Half Marathon than I am for my four exams next week.  I feel prepared, and I know I’ve been doing a good job of keeping up with the material and staying ahead of the game.  No matter what, I will have some late nights this week, but it will be ok.  The semester will be over before I know it and I will know I put in my best effort. 

When I finally come out from my creepy cubby in the library, I faced a long cold walk home.  When did it become winter?  I literally went into the library on a beautiful day and came out to the bitter cold.  I guess it’s now officially gloves season.  As a nice study break, Joe took me to see the movie New Years Eve at our local movie theater.  We enjoyed the movie and the nice walk there and back.  It was the perfect way to end a long day of school work. 

Pre-movie dinner was quick and easy.  A Trader Joe’s BBQ chicken pizza and some green beans.

020

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!  If you are a fellow student good luck getting through finals week. 

Christmas break will be here before you know it!

3 comments:

  1. Ah! I want to see New Years Eve! How was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Shannon!!! I hardly EVER do the planned workout on the assigned day. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the workouts and good luck with finals!!!

    ReplyDelete