Tuesday, November 15, 2011

One Holiday at a Time

Dinner tonight actually had a little color!  Woo Woo!  Joe picked up some guacamole and tomatoes on the way home so we could have some fresh fruit with our dinner.  Jeannie-O turkey burger patties, no buns, with guacamole, tomatoes, and soy sauce green beans.  I mixed up a tablespoon of Philadelphia Cooking Cream with the avocado since it was one of the only ingredients I had on hand.  The verdict…good! 

004005

So fresh.  I needed some veggies in my life after such a hectic week.  The Jeannie-O turkey was a plus since tonight is Biggest Loser night.  Those contestants are ALWAYS eating Jeannie-O.  This is like my version of drinking a beer and watching a game…

So something that I want to talk about today is…the concept of enjoying one holiday at a time.  On Sunday I walked into work for a 9 hour shift.  Something strange was going on in the pharmacy…there was Christmas music playing.  At first I thought, oh it’s still early, they’ll probably play a few songs here and there mixed in with the rest of the soft rock that usually is coming from the retail radio station.  NOPE.  9 hours of Christmas music…most of the songs ON REPEAT.  Did you know there are five versions of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer?  Cause I know that now.

Three days later I still have “It’s a marshmallow world…” stuck in my head.  I had barely even noticed that song before working that shift at work, but now I could sing every word!  So many customers commented on how it was so early for Christmas music, and (even as a HUGE Christmas fan) I would have to whole-heartedly agree.  Christmas music starts the day after Thanksgiving…otherwise I find myself getting sick of all the things that typically bring holiday cheer.

The reason the world seems like it hopped on the Christmas bandwagon so early is because it’s such a huge money maker!  Thanksgiving, a great holiday about family, friends, and celebrating the simple things, is less of a cash cow for the economy.  I have to give props to stores like Nordstrom's that put up signs like this:

nord

Thanks Nordstrom’s!  I knew there was a reason I preferred you as a department store! 

All I know is…how can I be excited for Christmas yet when I’m so excited to attempt making these…

oreoreesesturkey

When do you guys think it’s acceptable to start celebrating the holiday season? 

After Thanksgiving?  Not until the 12 days of Christmas hits?  Or are you just Grinchy and prefer the “bah humbug” approach to the holiday season?

 

In case you want the song stuck in your head for the rest of the week too…. you’re welcome  ;-)

Oh…and Godiva Anyone?  Enter to win some delicious coffee!

1 comment:

  1. I like to wait for anything Christmas-y until after Thanksgiving. I know some people get super excited about Christmas (my bf's buddy is crazy about it), but I do like some separation between the holiday seasons, even if it's only 12 hours. :)

    ReplyDelete