This weekend I had a 7 miler on the training plan for Saturday. Unfortunately, I had a change in plans with my flight Saturday, and Sunday is was pouring out. Today when I woke up I checked the weather and noticed that it was only 10% rain for the next two hours. I laced up my sneakers and hit the road for Kelly Drive.
On the way to Kelly, I took a bite of this protein bar that I had never tried before. At first it didn’t taste so bad, but it actually had a pretty disgusting aftertaste. Yuck! It took me a while to get the taste out of my mouth, but on the plus side it prompted me to drink more pre-run water. I only had the one bite…so clearly I don’t recommend this one.
I got to Kelly Drive and this run turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be…a wake up call. I’ve been working out on average 5 days a week or so and trying to follow the training plan that I made for my upcoming half marathons, but unfortunately most of the workouts that are missed or changed are runs. Runs are just my least favorite thing. I prefer to do strength, take a yoga class, hop on the elliptical, etc. than to run. I know that running is my least favorite because it’s the hardest for me. It’s an endless cycle. I don’t run because it’s hard, and I don’t get any better because I’m not running enough.
I’m glad I got all 7 miles in today (only because I did an out and back run and was forced to keep going to get back to my car), but I walked more than I ran. I did sporadic running and walking for the first 5 miles, and then I stopped at 5 and knew I was just going to walk the rest of the two out. I’m pretty sure that an infant crawling on the sidewalk lapped me…
I kept trying to push myself to run a mile straight, then walk for .25 mile and repeat, but I kept only getting to .5-.75 miles before I found myself slowing to a walk. It was like I was dealing with a toddler, but that toddler was me. My mind and legs were being stubborn.
I took some time to appreciate the houses on boathouse row on my walk back. Here is a little collage of the 12 boathouses.
After my “run” I was pretty starving. I stopped by subway on the way home to get a sandwich. I got a wheat 6 inch sub with turkey, fat free honey mustard, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, spinach, and green peppers. I paired it with a side of baked BBQ lays potato chips and 1/2 of an orange.
I’m itching to cook a healthy homemade meal tonight so I think that is the plan. Hope it turns out well!
No comments:
Post a Comment