The morning we went to Rome, we actually docked in the port of Civitavecchia, Italy. Which wasn’t too exciting. After about an hour or so, we arrived in Rome.
This day was very very hot. Our first stop was the Coliseum. Unfortunately, Rome is a small city with small streets and a ton of tourists, so at most of the stops we were dropped off and picked up a decently long walk away from the attraction we were viewing…this made me a little “mini-me” like…
When we saw the ternary, we were pretty pleased that the totally outdoor activities would be in the morning. First up was the Coliseum and then the Trevi Fountain.
Next up was the Trevi Fountain. I don’t really know why, but I was most excited to see this stop! We learned a little about the history of the fountain from our tour guide before taking some coins and tossing them in..wishing for luck in life!
After tossing my coin, we walked back to the bus…which seemed to take years. (Mini-me warning…) I couldn’t tell if we started some kind of walking tour or we just had an absurdly long walk back to the coach since our tour guide was going into great detail about everything we passed. He was a very informative tour guide, and I give him a lot of credit. If I were giving this tour, I’d be like here’s the Vatican…ok lets go it’s hot. I almost wanted to throw him a few Euros to shorten it up a bit…
We went to lunch at the Marriot in Rome since it was included in the tour we purchased. It wasn’t really that “Italian” so I would have probably rathered that we had an hour of free time after the Trevi Fountain where we could find our our restaurant since there was a ton of them in that area. Still, the food was good, and the wine was free! We all drank up, which may have made the afternoon a little more bearable since we had a nice wine face on…or less bearable since I wanted to take a nap the whole time.
The second half of the day was all about the Vatican. I unfortunately was suffering from extreme exhaustion and heat stroke, not really, but I was pretty tired and hot. So there are not many pictures. We toured St. Peter’s Basilica, the Vatican Museum, and the Sistine Chapel.
We knew this day was going to be a tough one on us. Most of the tours we chose were “half day” tours and 6 hours or less. This tour was over 11 hours. We all made it through in one piece and were definitely happy to get back onto the ship and suck in some air conditioning!
Rome was a great place to visit, and I was really happy that I can say that I have been to all these great historic places. That being said, I’m not sure if I would go to the “tourist” places again if I found myself in Rome. I definitely would not do another August trip…oy vey so so hot. I think I might have gotten a little more out of the trip (especially the second half of the day in the Vatican) if it had been in the spring or fall, but I still really appreciated the beauty and history that Rome had to offer.
No comments:
Post a Comment