Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Strongman Workout


Today’s workout was a great one.  I met up with a friend who used to be the gym manager/personal trainer in our resort, but he recently opened up his own gym right outside the resort that is super nice.  If you live or work in the Davenport/Kissimmee/Orlando area then check out this gym!




My friend, Alan, competes in strong man competitions and is no joke.  I wish I lived down here permanently so he could train me all the time.  His workouts are challenging and amazing. 

image.aspx
The man in action

Upper body strength training: Circuit completed 4 times
- Chest Press
- Pull down (2/4 times)
- Rows
- Resistance Bands (2/4 times)
- Pull Ups
- Tricep Dips
- Push ups with legs on a Bosu Ball
- Ball bounces

collage
Snapshots…can you see how thrilled my face is in every picture.  No time for hamming it up while I was working my butt off.

I then did 40 minutes of cross training that I should have done on Friday.  I wanted to do an elliptical interval workout, so instead of being creative and thinking one up, I stole one from one of my fellow blogger friends, Gabriela at Une Vie Saine.  I modified her 35 minute Elliptical interval workout to make it 40 minutes.  I also was on an elliptical with just resistance and no incline so I only changed resistance during it.

Minutes Resistance
1-5 5
5-6 12
6-8 8
8-9 12
9-11 8
11-12 12
12-14 8
14-15 14
15-17 8
17-18 14
18-20 8
20-21 14
21-23 8
23-24 14
24-26 8
26-27 16
27-29 8
29-30 16
30-32 8
32-33 16
33-35 8
35-40 5


I really liked the resistance intervals.  One of my personal goals is to try and do more intervals instead of just 40 minutes at a resistance of 12.  I liked doing this particular workout because changing the resistances made the time go by a lot faster.  40 minutes went by like that, and I got a great sweat on in the process.

I finished up the workout with some quick abs and stretching.

50 crunches
1 minute bicycle crunches
1 minute horizontal scissors
1 minute vertical scissors
1 minute plank

I have learned my lesson about skipping workouts on my training plan.  They are harder to make up than I anticipated, especially when I already have 6 workouts a week planned.  Right now I still have to make up my 5 mile run, and 3.5 mile run, but I did do my 2 mile run which would have been later this week so with some tricky shifting I should be able to be all caught up soon. 

Lunch was delicious because after that workout I was starved!  An egg salad sandwich on 80 calorie whole wheat bun and side salad with one cut up slice of American cheese, bacon bits, tomatoes, red onions, and balsamic vinaigrette.  Also had an un-pictured apple. 


I've just been surfing the internet and watching some shows today.  Not the best pool weather, but I'm glad I have a whole week down here to enjoy some sun. 

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a seriously intense workout- I'm glad you liked the elliptical routine!

    ReplyDelete