Friday, July 15, 2011

Bagelicious and a Nail Salon Tragedy

Today was a double bagel day :-)  After Shred day 5 (which wasn't too bad today!) Joe and I stopped at Dunkin Doughnuts for a quick breakfast.  Instead of the oh so enticing breakfast sandwich, I opted for a whole wheat bagel with reduced fat cream cheese, lightly toasted.  It was yummy.



Back to today's shred, it was a day where mats were actually suggested.  Yay!  I was wondering what the mats would be for if it wasn't needed for push ups, planks, mountain climbers, etc.  We did a lot of stretching, ab work, side planks (my enemy), and glut work.  This is the kind of workout class I love.  Even if it's tough, you're still basically in the same spot and not jumping around.  I prefer all exercises lying down because I'm lazy like that. 

Aren't there any workouts I can do while lying on this thing?
Thumbs up for a easy workout and biking gloves to protect my hands!


I took a short nap today, and then I went and got my teeth cleaned at the dentist.  I always feel better once that is off my to do list for another six months.  After that I grabbed a quick lunch at another bagel place!  I had bagel fever today!  All the creamy cheeses and fluffy bagels were beckoning me, but I was a good girl and got my healthy Manhattan Bagel staple.  Multi-grain bagel thin, turkey, lettuce, tomato, onion, and honey mustard.  Less than 250 calories. 


so many delicious flavors!


Now onto a serious story.  Please weigh-in in the comments sections your opinions on the matter.  

So I took my sandwich to the nail salon.  Even though I live in Philly, I still go to a nail salon about 30 minutes from my apartment close to my parents house.  They are really the best!  They give super long foot massages, are really clean, and also give neck and back massages while your nails dry.  

Well, Fridays are always really crowded here, but since I was in the area for the dentist appointment, I went anyways.  I was lucky enough to squeak in and get a spot in a pedicure chair, but after my pedicure was done there were no chairs available for manicures.  The woman who did my pedicure gestured for me to sit on the couch and wait, she placed my purse on the floor. 

The Longchamp bag - brand new - first day using it
So the couch was placed right next to the area where you select your nail polish color, and two young girls, maybe 8 years old, were browsing the selection with their mom.  All of sudden, a bright orange bottle of nail polish crashes to the ground and shatters, orange splatter all over my bag.  One of the young girls said that when she picked it up by the lid, the brush wasn't screwed in completely and came apart from the top.



I pick up my bag like a newborn just fell and shattered it's scull.  I take a few deep breaths and try to think of how I can get the bring neon orange nail polish off of it before it stains.  I start to show the women who work there, but they don't really seem to care or want to help.  They give me some nail polish remover and a few pieces of cotton.  I start ferociously scrubbing the bag, unaware of what acetone nail polish remover is going to do to this fabric.  Luckily most of the stains came out, but if my bag had been leather or canvas, it would have been a gonner.  I was visibly upset, and they asked if it was coming out, but they knew I was pretty pissed at the situation.

I was angry at the situation, not at the little girl.  Even though I think she was being pretty careless and could have apologized to me (she never said sorry).  I think that as part of good customer service, the people who worked there should have helped me clean it off, offer to pay for dry cleaning to get the stains out, or given me a gift certificate to come back and get another manicure or pedicure, since obviously my experience was ruined. 

I did show that I was upset, but I didn't make a huge stink out of it (other than sulking through my manicure).  I really do like this place, and I didn't want to not be able to come back since I made a big deal over an accident.  I am the kind of person who will send back food (when warranted ex: I got a different meal than I ordered or my meat isn't cooked properly), ask for gift cards if there are bad experiences at places, etc. I usually don't care about being a pain in the butt because that is part of customer service.  I work in retail pharmacy, and you can be sure that if I spilled cherry cough syrup all over someones designer purse I would have tried to help in any way possible and gotten a manager to see if they could give them a gift card or something for their trouble. 

At the end of the day, it's just stuff.  Things don't matter.  I do try to remind myself of this when things like this happen.  Like when my sunglasses were taken by a big wave...

Anyways, what would you have done?  Would you have asked the business for some sort of compensation?  The mother?  Not go back to support their business? 

5 comments:

  1. If there are still stains try using hairspray on them! I used that on a shirt and it worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably just not go back. I go to a great place on 16th between Sansom and Walnut called Young's Nails. They are super friendly and give long foot massages, and neck and shoulder massages while your nails dry too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally write them a letter. I write letters after bad service all the time and get gift certificates. The least they could do it pay for your next mani/pedi!! I complained once to Delta and got $200 in travel certificates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be pissed too, but more at the mother than anyone else. The fact that she didn't have her child apologize, whether or not it was an accident, is rude. If anyone should have offered to pay for the bag, I think it's her- although a salon with good customer service would have at least helped you clean the bag! If it's a great salon in general with good prices, I'd go back, but if not, then I'd find somewhere else. Nail salons are a dime a dozen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd probably not go back, not because of the accident, but because the employees didn't care about what happened. Customer service doesn't stop at the people who are having mani/pedis right at that moment; it extends to everyone in the store.

    And that's crazy that the little girl didn't apologize! Total lack of manners in general!

    ReplyDelete